ELDT Plus Logo
ELDT Plus Logo

ELDT certificate: what is it and which one do I need?

To obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL), you will typically need to complete Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) and receive an ELDT certificate. The specific ELDT requirements may vary depending on the state in which you live and the type of CDL you seek. Some states may require you to complete both a theoretical and a behind-the-wheel component of ELDT, while others may have different requirements.

In general, the ELDT certificate that you will need will depend on your specific goals and the requirements of the state in which you are seeking to obtain your CDL. Some individuals may choose to complete the full ELDT program, including both theoretical and behind-the-wheel training, in order to be fully prepared for the CDL exam and for a career as a professional truck driver. Others may choose to focus on just one component of ELDT, depending on their prior experience or specific needs. Always check with your state's DMV/licensing agency to determine the specific training requirements and any costs that may be associated with obtaining a CDL.

Find out how to obtain the ELDT certification you need:


CDL Class A

CDL Class A

CDL Class B

CDL Class B


School Bus

CDL B->A Upgrade

B->A Upgrade

Get your ELDT theory certification with Driving-Tests.org

  • Official FMCSA-approved nationwide provider (except WA)

  • America's #1 online CDL training program

  • Instant completion reporting to FMCSA

  • A 2-in-1 program that includes both ELDT certification and theory exam prep w/Pass Guarantee

Get your ELDT certificate with CDL Premium

Example ELDT certificate submitted to the Training Provider Registry